Monday, July 06, 2009

Gospel Centered Community and the 4th of July

The current Cole sermon series takes us through Paul's letter to the church in Philippi. Jackson and Rodd have titled the series "Living in Gospel Centered CommUnity" - a title that I happen to love and I'm jealous that I didn't come up with it first (except that I'm not sure about the capitalized "Unity"; the point they are trying to make is better than the method they are using to make it). Paul and John both seem to emphasize unity and Gospel and community every time they start writing, so this just seems so appropriate. "Who are we?" these apostles are always asking - and they always seem to answer that we are a community whose very existence is built on the person of Christ and the Gospel of His Kingdom.

This question is relevant (well, always, but...) especially as we celebrated the blessings of living in these United States of America this last weekend. As Nicky discussed on her blog a few weeks ago, there is a strong link between the church in America and America itself. The church here too often is built on the American patriotism, or the two are at least very closely allied. It seems to me that the Body of Christ should hesitate to center itself on a nation that devalues human life and whose culture promotes death (consumerism and debt, abortion, torture, war, etc.). This series through Philippians has been a great reminder to me that our collective life in the church is not centered on America or even the religious freedoms that we enjoy in this country. Our community is based on Christ and His Kingdom, and our unity is maintained by His Holy Spirit. All praise to God the Father that he has given us a new community with a new kind of life centered on His Son. 

- Josh

3 comments:

Valkyrie said...

I have to whole-heartedly agree. I think it's a valuable thing to take a step back and ask ourselves where we believe our citizenship lies. If we are believers, then we are first and foremost citizens of God's Kingdom, and that is not the same as nor is it superceeded by nor represented by the USA. This is NOT the new Jerusalem. America is not the infallible representative of Christ on Earth, and we need to remember that now and again. Love your country, sure. But love God first (it's not the same thing).

Fellowship Team said...

By the way, Nicky, I hope it's cool that I linked to your blog and that I put it as one of the group links. Trying to figure out how to blog and work this new-fangled technology. So thanks for your posts - I actually do read them. Blessings.

Valkyrie said...

Absolutely, I appreciate it!